Blog Archive

Friday, September 28, 2012

183) OBE Research At Rhine Research Center


Rhine Research Center - Examining the Nature of Out of Body Experiences - September 2012 

I want to share in as much detail as I can the experience I had last week (Sept 19-21, 2012) working with the Rhine Research Center (http://www.rhine.org/) in North Carolina as a participant for scientific research into the nature of out of body experiences.  This is a pilot study being done in preparation for further investigative work, and I was honored to be asked to be the first test subject to see if any improvements and/or results could be generated.  

Getting chose to do this was in itself quite a synchronistic event, as I feel I didn't ask for this assignment, but the Universe showed me in or uncertain terms that I was to do to it!

I had just decided to sign up for the OBE Intensive with William Buhlman at the Monroe Institute in Virginia for November (as I've not been there before) and it was the Monroe Institute who was contacted by the researchers asking for astral study subjects who might be interested.  Through email, William Buhlman asked if I might be interested.  I was not really sure I wanted to do this, but for gather more information, I did as directed and contacted the CEO of The Monroe Institute. 

When I first called, the CEO was on vacation so I left a message to call me back.  It took almost two weeks before I tried calling again, but in the meantime, I went ahead and made plans to visit my friend in Chapel Hill, NC for a visit in mid-September.  

Can you imagine my surprise when I found out from the CEO of TMI that the planned research was scheduled to be done IN North Carolina, just a few miles from where I’d be visiting my girlfriend AND they wanted to do it mid-September!!   It was as if the Universe lined up the plans so that I had the exact time and place to be available for their research!

Arriving at the Rhine Research Center, I met with John and Bryan and had an overview of expectations and a general tour of the facility.  We discussed the various ways they were hoping to take measurements – the exact platform scale ‘bed’ used previously by Lewis Hollander in the 1990’s for his research (http://www.scientificexploration.org/journal/jse_15_4_hollander.pdf), a random number generator they previously used for their ESP research, a BioEnergy room that had a photon collection device to count the amount of invisible UV light that can be emitted, and a final ‘target’ room that would contain a chosen target that I was to focus on ‘seeing’ when out of body.

I was able to pick the room I wanted the target placed in, and to keep it double blind, the researchers themselves would not know what the target was.  Another facility member would place it after hours and the room sealed.

Control testing started, which involved calibrating the scale to document changes in weight during deep breathing, holding breath both inhalation and exhalation, as well as documenting the changes in pattern as I moved on the platform.  We had decided that the first 30 minutes or so would be my induction phase with a guided meditation, and that I would normal roll to my left to sleep just after it so the movement of the body roll was needed to be document to signal a ‘start’ time. 

It was agreed that I would attempt to get OOB to the target and try to return immediately to record my impressions, and then if possible get back OOB to try for another experience for weight change, as the back to back OBEs have been done in the past with me.   I would call out after I was completely awake for the morning. 

To maximize the simulation for my own OBEs that occur frequently in the early morning hours, we agreed that I would call Bryan (who is staying in the same hotel 3 doors down) on the room phone after I wake the first night, between 3-4am.  I plan on sleeping for about only 4 hours, staying up until 11:30pm or so, to get the deep sleep over with, and then once awakened, call Bryan who would then accompany me across the street to the research facility and scale. 

EXPERIMEN 1 SESSION 1

I woke about 3am, tossed for a bit but by 3:15a decided to get up and get ready to go across the street.  Arrived with Bryan at 3:20am to lab, was underway with attempt by 3:35am. The platform was not as comfortable as I initially thought and staying in the one position on my left side was becoming awkward. 

I was concerned throughout the time that my excessive movement might alter what the scale readings were, so was anxious not to move much, which didn’t allow me to drop into sleep easily.  I remember feeling a bit cool with the fan blowing, wishing I had left my jacket on instead of hanging it by the door.  I felt my discomfort might impact my ability to project.

It felt as if I was never falling asleep with time ticking, doing deep breathing, visualizations of the target, impressing the need to know what it is.  I also remembered the random number generator to try to see if I could get it to flow out of the normal curve.

At some point I must have drifted off to sleep, as I recall some dialogue with a woman who wanted something I had and was ready to give to another person.  This woman said something to the effect that she was ‘on her deathbed’ and I should feel obligated to give it to her, but somehow I knew this statement it was not true.

I woke a few more times, always uncomfortable and afraid to move, but eventually took the risk of moving, checked the time on my phone and saw it was already 6am.  Figuring not much was going to happen with this first experiment, I rolled to my right side and attempted one more time to sleep.

Next memories were of watching a video that was made for our local hospital where I used to work (some sort of promotional video it felt) and it was focusing on a display of wooden signs with words on them, such as Simplicity and many others I could read.  (I discussed with Bryan the possibility that this might have to do with the target, but not certain)

I thought this unusual to have a video of the gift shop, focusing so intently on these word signs, but then the camera panned to the lobby where it was decorated very warmly as if autumn (which I remember thinking it’s really not that season yet).  I saw a fire in the fireplace, and off to my left a huge slab of meat roasting on a rotisserie.  I didn’t think this strange at all, only the sense that it was not the right ‘season’ to be decorated in yet.

My next thoughts were of ‘waking’, wanting to find the light.  I felt a lamp pole on my right, and proceeded to walk my hands up the thin pole to the level where I felt a shelf to be located.  On this shelf was a smaller lamp, without a shade, only a small broken bare light bulb at the top.  I knew this was not going to work and felt disheartened again.

I then heard names being called out, as if a roll call, and the feeling of a school came.  I saw/felt three younger girls (ages 12-14) walking by and noted that the names all started with the same “K” or “C” consonant so both the first and last names were similar, and I took note it was the same beginning sound as my name, Karen.

Without any change in focus, I then heard two or three young boys giggling and laughing coming up on my right as I lie face down on the platform.  I was fully aware I was in the test area, as I felt to be awake, and wondered why these boys were so close.  Not moving, I then felt them climb up onto the platform with me, still having such fun and laughing!  I worried that this ‘extra weight’ from them is going to really have an effect on the scale measurement! I knew that the test was done now, especially with this added weight and their activity…so I began to relax and enjoy the merriment with them.  

I asked them, “what are you boys doing here?” and one answered something like ‘What do you think we are doing here?’ and before I had time to think of another question, I felt the pull back to physicalness. 

I realized upon fully waking that there was no one else in this room, there was no lamp or shelf, and it was a false awakening.  I recorded what I just experienced noting it was approximately 7:20am.

I then called out to Bryan, who came in with post-experience questions as I shared my experiences on tape for later data review and analysis.  I will say there was some interesting results, but I unfortunately cannot disclose any information at this time until the data is fully analyzed.

EXPERIMENT 1  SESSION 2

Met wit Bryan and John at 11am, and discussed plans for control BioEnergy readings in double dark room and then meditative session to see if could increase response in light photons (which change into current for readout).   Many people before had been tested, over 130, from healers, meditators, etc. Only 9 of over 130 people were able to make a significant effect with it over the past 15 years.

For this session, I sat upright in chair, with all metal removed from my body.  The session began when told to open filter to allow capture while in pitch black room.  After 3-5 minutes of baseline, then told to do meditative session for about 30 minutes with them to advise me of when time to stop would be, then to follow with another 3-5 minutes of baseline.

Upon review of the session immediately afterward, they showed me that I had a normal baseline with a fairly constant level of photon emission for approximately 20 minutes.  At this time John indicated that it seems there would be no change so they might as well end, and he was surprised to see that just as he was speaking his sentence to Bryan there was a huge single spike in photon emission.  They agreed to let it run a bit more, and a second lesser spike was immediately noted.  Again it seemed to stabilize after a minute and John mentioned stopping the session, which once again as he said this, a slight change in trend in emission was registered on the screen. 

The change from baseline continued for a few minutes and then returned to original baseline.  At this time it was just over 30 minutes and the session was stopped.  This was not as significant a finding as some they have had, but still noted to have a difference in photon emission when there should have been none, as nothing physical in the room changed. 

During this meditative session, I was very surprised to hear them tell me the 30 minutes was up, as I as certain it had only been 10 minutes at most. In this total pitch black room, you lose all sense of time.

We walked across the street to hotel for lunch, swapped lots of stories, and return for the afternoon nap session back on the scales.  I was not optimistic that this would be too successful as I rarely find time to nap in the afternoon, yet knew that I would stay open to the possibility since I knew I had previously had an OBE years ago while napping.

Once on the bed scale platform for a nap, I was easily into the meditative state, and just prior to the 30 minute signal when I would roll over, I thought I heard knocking or noise just outside the room.  Thinking they wanted to let me know the 30 minutes were up, I stayed in my relaxed mindstate a bit more to finish, and then rolled to my left as the agreed signal.

I had much difficulty in falling asleep, affirming over and over OUT OF BODY NOW and TO TARGET, as well as remembering to try to change the random number generator.  It was at least 20-30 minutes before I was able to fall asleep, again hearing some noises in the room during this time, and then again just before becoming fully awake.

I felt that I had definitely achieved a ‘dream state’ at the end of this experience, however, did not enter into a full out of body state.  However, I was much more relaxed in not worrying about movement and attempted to keep myself as comfortable as possible. 

DAY 2 SESSION #1

I awoke about 3:10am, called Byran at 3:15am and we started the session by 3:25am.

I used 30 minutes mediation MP3, then rolled to my left side to sleep as the agreed signal. I was MUCH more comfortable with extra layer foam and small Mexican blanket John added.  I was also more comfortable knowing I could move as I needed to.  I intently focused on OUT OF BODY and TO TARGET with some thought of random number generator change.

For this session I had many dream snippets recalled that pertained to my prior work at the hospital again and taking care of patients.  I am not revealing details here due to the personal nature of much of it.  I believe I had many different memories, all with certain impressions made, that I took note of as potentially related to the target.  For instance, in one, I was with a male, visiting someone’s house, wanting to take a shower, asked for towel, and was told they were in the office a room next door.  I found these beautiful blue turquoise colored towels folded in a box.

When I felt as if I woke for day, a time check revealed it was 6:22am and I was determined to give this a another attempt so settled back in with OUT OF BODY and TO TARGET affirmations, as well as an intense try for changing the random number generator. 

I then heard a window rattling twice, yet there was no window in room   Felt the beginnings of vibrations, and a slight floating feeling, but no full separation.  Few recalled memories during this time involved a blue coffee cup, the D handle shape impressed in my mind.

I was surprised to find out the next time check it was 7:59 am and that almost 90 minutes had passed as it did not feel to have been that long that I was attempting.  I thought I had been awake the entire time, maybe ½ hour at most.

Byran came in with post session questions where I spoke of my experiences above, my increased comfort, my wish I had been this comfortable in previous session, and the rare opportunity I’ve had to do this back to back, which may have set limiting beliefs with me that it might not be as successful.

Again results this time were quite surprising for me, but alas, I cannot divulge the specific details yet. But I will say that the random number generator definitely went out of the range of ‘normal chance’ for a long period of time!

DAY 2 SESSION 2

They had moved the scale bed into the double dark BioEnergy room with the photon collections, turned on the random generator and reminded me of trying to hit the target.

As this was another ‘nap’ session, we agreed we’d stop after 2 hours, since in there I had no way of knowing the passage of time.

We started at 2pm, with all metal and reflective surfaces taken off. I opened the shutter and started my induction.  I remember getting about 15-20 minutes in (feels like) and then the very next recollection I had I was wide awake after a ‘settling in’ sensation.  It felt as though I had ‘clicked out’ for an unknown period of time, moving out of body, despite the complete loss of recall in between.

I was concerned because I had no concept of how much time had lapsed, it could have been a few minutes (as I was still on my back) or much longer.  Feeling as if I had to continue to try a bit more, I rolled over to my right side facing the wall (the agreed ‘signal’ that I’d try to move out) and attempted to get information on the target as I relaxed. Used affirmations out of body now, to the target, but could tell nothing was really going to happen.

Felt after a short bit, maybe 10 minutes or so in my estimation, that ‘time’s up’ and so I called out to the guys that I’m awake and ready, hoping that there was some results.

I was astonished to discover that it was EXACTLY two hours when I called out, as John was about to knock on the door to wake me!  It was the longest session they had ever had and it was quite interesting to hear of the results.

With the debriefing, I was dismayed to think I had not real information to share because of this ‘click out’ sensation.  All I knew was that I was likely out of body, going somewhere that I was not able to have any recall of at all.  Upon return I attempted to consciously get out again, knew it wasn’t going to happen, and then called out.

What is fascinating was the preliminary results that were taken at this session!!  Again, no specific details can be told, but they DID congratulate me on being one of the few people they have had in this room to make a significant change in photon light emission! 

Not only the photons, but there were some potentially significant changes in the scale measurements!  I wish I could tell you details, but I do not want to compromise any research and was asked not to do so.

As this was the final session for the research, we now were going to see what the target was that was placed in the room by the secretary.  This was a double blind target, as neither researcher knew what it was.  They had me write down my impressions from all the sessions as to what I felt it could be, such as ‘blue’ ‘box’ ‘wooden’ ‘triangle’ ‘angular’ “D” shape, etc.

Then the secretary brought in a bag with five items including the target.  As soon as I saw one certain object come out of the bag, I immediately felt a pull to choose it.  I was asked to line them up in order of preference – 1 to 5 – and for whatever reason, knew it was only one of the three.  Two items, a feather and wooden flute, was ‘cold’ and not even considered.  The other three items were close, a blue-green prism in the shape of a triange, a small wooden box, and a clear egg carton with various colored embroidery thread in it.  (see picture)

My choice initially was the egg carton, as it ‘felt’ right…and I made that #1.  John asked me to re-read my list and make sure I wanted to leave it as it was before the secretary revealed the answer to us all.  At THAT time, I panicked a bit and with what I saw I wrote down, changed my choice from the egg carton to the blue-green prism as #1.   As you can probably guess, the correct target WAS the egg carton!! Goes to show that you should always listen to your intuition first!!!

My time here with the Rhine Institute was just fantastic, and I came away with such validation for me that there CAN BE something ‘tangible’ to this astral projection!  I was pleased to have had some results with this, the best being the random number generator going out of ‘normal’ chance for such a long period of time, and the ‘light generation’ that I achieved with the photon emission and possible change in weight with projection.

This will all be written up in a published pilot study, hopefully by the end of the year when I can share publicly some of the ‘official’ results after the data is fully analyzed.

1 comment:

Treefrog said...

Karen! What a fabulous report. Congratulations on the successful results, especially the spike of bio-photons.

The increase in bio-photon level does not surprise me at all, as this is associated with `chi/ki/prana' energy; I've always been aware that projection involves chi. I have often felt my chi flowing strongly when I go `in' and `out' and I often feel which chakra I enter/leave via.

I also often feel the draw on my reservoir behind the navel chakra, when going out.

I don't understad the weight change rationale, though...did they expect weight change when you went out?

Does the etheric/astral you have phhysical weight? Surely not! Isn't this a bit like deleting the data on the hard drive of your computer and expecting it to weigh less?

Interesting. You are doing great work.